Authoritas API Services – Acceptable Use Policy
Last updated: 22 May 2019
- General Statement
This Policy forms an integral part of our Terms of Service and any violation of this Policy constitutes a breach of our Terms of Service and may lead to the immediate suspension and/or termination of your API subscription.
Due to the numerous different applications that an API service can be used for, the list of prohibited activities below is intended as a guideline and is not, and cannot be, all encompassing. Other acts or uses that are not specifically mentioned below may also constitute a violation of this Policy.
In general, we will not tolerate any use of our API Services which is illegal, damages or is likely to damage our reputation, the availability or integrity of our API Services or which causes us or threatens to cause us to incur any legal, tax or regulatory liability.
If you are uncertain if an action would constitute a violation of this Policy please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org before taking any further action.
- Prohibited activities
Authoritas expressly prohibits all of the following kinds of activities on our servers and services:
- Any illegal activities. This includes, but is not limited to terrorism, money laundering, harassment, threats to harm any person or organisation, fraud of any kind or any other illegal activities.
- Denial of Service attacks, of any kind.
- Origination or distribution of viruses or the use of malware, of any kind, including but not limited to password crackers, spyware, key stroke capture programs or any other programs used in malicious activities.
- Copyright infringement, under all relevant laws, foreign or domestic, including but not limited to the share of music, videos or programs that you do not own the rights to.
- Spamming, of any kind, including but not limited to the bulk transmission of emails (even opt-in emails), blog comments, forum or social network comments
- Any “Black Hat” SEO activities at all, including, but not limited to any automated and/or multiple manual actions designed to artificially inflate or influence the popularity of any type of content or site (such as automated and/or multiple manual “viewing” of videos/clips, automated and/or multiple manual “clicking” on online advertisements; or any automated action designed to artificially increase ratings on Social Media content);
- Phishing or any other activities designed to collect personal information of any kind.
- Hacking or any attempts to gain unauthorised access to any network or system.
- Pornography, of any kind, legal or otherwise.
- Stalking, bullying or impersonation.
In summary, we are committed to maintaining the integrity and reliability of our API services for all our customers and any actions that cause, or may cause, any of our servers to be blacklisted or blocked is considered a violation of this Acceptable Use Policy.
- Monitoring the use of our API Services
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to monitor all customers’ use of our API Services in order to protect or enforce our rights under this Policy or our Terms of Service.
- Actions in response to violations, or alleged violations, of this Policy.
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to immediately suspend access to our API Services, without notice (and without refund or credit) in the event that we identify or are made aware of a violation, or alleged violation, of this Policy or our Terms of Service.
We will notify you of any alleged violations and give you an opportunity to respond to the alleged violation as part of our investigation into all such allegations, but you agree and accept that our decision will be final and binding.
If, after investigation, we at our sole discretion, consider an action to be a violation of this Policy we will immediately terminate your account with us (without refund or credit). We may also take legal action against you, including action to recover any loss that we have incurred as a result of your breach of this Policy.
- Changes to this Acceptable Use Policy
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Policy at any time, without notice. You agree to keep informed of the terms of the Acceptable Use Policy in force by regularly reviewing it at https://www.authoritas.com/acceptable-use-policy-and-terms-service.
Terms of Service
Last updated: 22 May 2019
These are the terms of service (“Terms”) for any application programming interface (“API”) services subscribed for from Authoritas. Please read them carefully because they form a legal agreement between you and us in relation to your subscription to any API Services (as defined below).
Accounts can only be opened by a person (where person includes a natural person, a corporate or unincorporated body). You must be 18 years of age or older.
1. Who we are
Authoritas is the trading name of Analytics SEO Limited, a limited company registered in England and Wales under company registration number 05796620 with our registered office address at 70 Atbara Road, Teddington, TW11 9PD (“we”, or “us”, or “our”). We have other trading addresses. If you would like details of our trading addresses, please contact us. Our VAT number is GB898 6332 61.
We can be contacted by email at email@example.com.
2. What these Terms are about
These Terms apply to any subscriptions for API Services. By placing an Order you agree to these Terms. If you do not agree to them you should not place any Orders.
The most current version of these Terms is dated above. We reserve the right to update and change our Terms by providing you with 30 days written notice by email. Continued use of the API Services after any such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes.
3. What some words in these Terms mean
In these Terms we use certain words to add clarity. Where you see one of the words below in these Terms, it has the meaning set out below.
- “Account” is the account created upon completion of your Order from which you are able to access our API Services
- “API Key” – unique code that provides you with access to our API Services
- “API Services” means our application programming interface service;
- “Customer” is the person or business entity which has subscribed to our API Services.
- “Electronic Communication” means an electronic communication between you and us by fax or email;
- “Order” or “Contract” means the binding legal agreement between you and us for the API Services set out in section 4 below;
- “Order Form” is the schedule detailing your subscription details that forms an integral part of your Order;
- “Packages” means a subscription package for a pre-defined maximum number of Search Queries per Subscription Period. Any unused Search Queries in a Subscription Period cannot be rolled over to a later Subscription Period;
- “Rate Limiting” is the maximum number of Search Queries per minute that may be made to our API Services;
- Search Query” means any query you make to our API Services;
- “Subscription” means your rolling monthly, quarterly, bi-annual or annual Contract to access our API Services as stipulated in your Order;
- “Subscription Fee” means the fixed fee payable in advance at the start of each Subscription Period for access to our API Services;
- “Subscription Period” means the monthly, quarterly, bi-annual or annual period as stipulated in your Order
PLEASE NOTE that many of our APIs contain rate limits. These rate limits are detailed on your Order Form and in the API implementation documentation that we send you. If you are uncertain what your rate limits are please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before using the API services.
4. Subscribing for API Services
4. 1 About you
As you might expect, the API Services we offer are not intended for everyone and we rely on you to check you are eligible to buy the API Services and that the API Services meet your specific needs before you place any Orders. By placing an Order, you are representing that:
- you are legally capable of entering into binding contracts;
- you are at least 18 years old;
- if you are an individual placing an Order on behalf of a business or an organisation, you are authorised to place the Order on their behalf.
Only authorised employees of the Customer may access or use our API Services. No other person is permitted to use the API Services, whether by assignment, licence, permission or otherwise. Any attempt by a Customer to permit use by a third party is a breach of our Terms.
4. 2 How to subscribe for API Services
The steps you need to take to conclude a Contract with us are:
(A) Make sure you read and understand our terms
(B) Place your Order
Please complete and sign the Authoritas API Service Order Form that we send to you. We can only act on the information you provide to us, so please ensure that all information you provide to us is correct.
We will create an account on the Authoritas platform for you and you will be required to register your credit card details on the account prior to order acceptance.
We will acknowledge receipt of your Order by email, as soon as reasonably possible after you have placed your Order. Your Order is not deemed to have been accepted and no contract, agreement or obligation exists until we have explicitly accepted your Order. Pre-payment of your Order does not obligate us to accept your Order. If we do not accept your Order, we will refund your fees within one business day.
Please note that we are entitled to refuse to accept any Order. If that happens, we will let you know as soon as we can.
(C) Order Acceptance and Activation
Orders received during normal business days (ie: excluding public holidays in the UK) are usually confirmed and activated within one business day. If we expect it to take longer than this for any reason we will email you with an updated estimate for your account.
An order is only deemed to have been accepted when we provide you with an API Key to access our API Services.
5. The price of the API Services and how to pay
5.1 Fees and charges
The price of the API Services will be as set out on your Order Form.
All fees are stated exclusive of all taxes, levies or duties imposed by all relevant tax authorities, and you shall be responsible for payment of all such relevant taxes, levies and duties where applicable. You agree to pay for any such taxes that might be applicable to your use of the API Services.
Subscription Fees: At the start of each Subscription Period you will be charged in advance the appropriate Subscription Fees (in GB Pounds, US Dollars or any other currency we agree to accept) for the Package you have subscribed to as set out on the Order Form. Subscription Fees are due in full at the start of each Subscription Period.
5. 2 Payments and failure to pay
We will charge your credit card at the start of each Subscription Period for any Subscription Fees due.
If you fail to make any payment by the due date then, in addition to any other right or remedy available to us, we will be entitled, but not obliged, at our sole discretion, to:
- immediately suspend your access to our API Services;
- terminate your account if payment is not received within 3 days of the billing date; and
- exercise our legal right to claim interest under any applicable law or statute, for example, the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 and subsidiary legislation (as amended from time to time) together with compensation for debt recovery costs.
All payments are non-refundable. No refunds or credits will be made for partial months of service.
5.3 Price Changes
We may vary our Subscription Fees, by providing you with 30 days’ notice. Such notice will deemed to have been given by sending you an email to the email address listed on your Account page. Such price changes will take effect at the start of the next Subscription Period after the 30 day notice period.
We want you to be completely satisfied with the API Services you order. If you need to contact us about your Order then please email our account management team at email@example.com.
6.1 Your rights to cancel
6.1.1 You are solely responsible for properly cancelling your account where contractually permitted to do so.
6.1.2 We require a minimum of 30 days written notice of cancellation, such notice to be given in accordance with clauses 6.1.3 and 6.1.4, as applicable.
6.1.3 Rolling Monthly Subscriptions – you may give us written notice to cancel your rolling monthly Subscription at any time, as outlined in clause 6.1.1, but your 30 day notice period will only take effect at the end of your current Billing Period (so, for example, if your Billing Period starts on the 4th of each month and you give written notice to cancel on 15th March, your 30 day notice period will take effect from the end of your current Billing Period on 3 April and your Account will be cancelled on 3 May). You will remain liable for all Subscription Fees incurred until the end of your 30 day notice period.
6.1.4 Quarterly, Bi-Annual and Annual Subscriptions – you may give us written notice to cancel your quarterly, bi-annual or annual Subscription 30 days prior to the end of any Subscription Period as outlined in clause 6.1.1. Such cancellation will take effect at midnight at the end of that Subscription Period. Failure to provide at least 30 days written notice will result in the subscription automatically renewing on the same terms as before at the end of each Subscription Period.
6.2 Our rights to cancel
We may, but are not obliged to, cancel your Subscription if you:
- order API Services that become unavailable. If this happens we will let you know the API Services are not available and we will try to help you find alternative API Services which meet your needs, but we are not obliged to provide substitute API Services; or
- breach our Terms or Acceptable Use Policy; or
- do not pay us the price due for the API Services by the due date; or
- are either not able or not authorised to enter into a Contract with us.
If we wish to cancel your Order, we will contact you first to discuss this.
7. Copyright and Content Ownership
We do not pre-screen Search Queries, but we have the right (but not the obligation) at our sole discretion to refuse any Search Queries that you make to the Service.
The design and content of our website and API Services, and the material published on it, is protected by copyright and is owned by us (©2016). All rights reserved. You may not duplicate, copy, or reuse any portion of the HTML/CSS or visual design elements without express written permission from us.
8. Security of Customer Information and Internet Protocol (“IP”) Addresses
You understand and accept that we cannot guarantee that any Customer information or data transmitted during use via our servers (including, but not limited to, any and all transmissions to and from Customer via our servers) will not be compromised by unauthorised access, nor can we guarantee that a Customer’s IP address may not be compromised by third parties.
You agree to hold us harmless in the event of any breach of security to your data or information whatsoever as described in this paragraph.
9. Intellectual Property and Trade Marks
You acknowledge and agree that we and/or our licensors own all intellectual property rights in the API Services. Except as expressly stated herein, this agreement does not grant you any rights to, or in, patents, copyrights, database rights, trade secrets, trade names, trademarks (whether registered or unregistered), or any other rights or licences in respect of the API Services.
We confirm that we have all the rights in relation to the API Services that are necessary to grant all the rights we purport to grant under, and in accordance with, the terms of this agreement.
If, however, a third party successfully claims that our API Services breach that third party’s intellectual property rights, we will be entitled to replace the API Services (or the part in question) free of charge or, at our discretion, refund to you the price of the API Services (or a proportionate part of the price), but we are not accountable to you in any other way. In particular, we will not be responsible for any defects or intellectual property rights claims arising from your customisation of the API Services or your other instructions.
10. Third party products and services
We may provide links on our Website to the websites of other companies. We do not control those companies and so we cannot promise that third party products and services which you purchase from companies to whose website we have provided a link on our Website, will be of satisfactory quality, and we do not give any promise about those companies or their products and services. We will notify you when a third party is involved in a transaction, and we may disclose your information related to that transaction to the third party seller.
11. Limitation of Liability
This clause sets out our entire financial liability (including any liability for the acts or omissions of our employees, agents and sub-contractors) to you in respect of any breach of this agreement; any use made by you of the API Services; and any representation, statement or tortious act or omission (including negligence) arising under or in connection with this agreement.
Nothing in this agreement excludes our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence; or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
We will not be liable under or in relation to the Contract or its subject matter for any liability, loss or damage (whether arising due to negligence, breach of contract, misrepresentation, or for any other reason excluding fraudulent misrepresentation (in the unlikely event that this should happen)). This means, for example, that we are not liable for:
- any inaccuracies, errors or omissions in information on our website or obtained through our API Services;
- any delay in providing or failing to supply the API Services;
- any loss of profits, loss of business, loss of anticipated savings, loss of sales or turnover, loss of, or damage to reputation, loss of contract, loss of customers, loss of, or loss of use of any software or data, loss of use of any computer or other equipment or plant, wasted management or other staff time, (in each case whether direct or indirect) or any indirect, consequential loss or damage.
You and we agree that should any sentence or paragraph which limits liability contained in the Contract be held to be invalid under any applicable legislation or rule of law, it will be deemed deleted, but if as a result of it being deleted we become liable for loss or damage which would otherwise have been excluded or limited, our liability shall be limited to the total Subscription Fees paid by you during the 6 months immediately preceding the date on which the claim arose, provided that full payment for the 6 month period has been received (otherwise the maximum aggregate liability will be reduced proportionately).
You agree that the attorney representing us in any such circumstances shall be of our choosing and will paid for by you.
The API Services are provided “as is” and “as available” without any warranty or representations of any kind, whether expressed or implied.
We are a distributor and not a publisher of the content supplied by third parties; as such, we exercise no editorial control over such content and makes no warranty or representation as to the accuracy, reliability or currency of any information, content, service or merchandise provided through or accessible via the site.
We do not warrant that all services will be accessible 100% of the time, nor do we warrant that we will be able to continue to provide access to all services during the term. Some of the services are produced by accessing third party data sources and no warranty is expressed or implied that access to these services will be available in the future as such services may be withdrawn or modified at any time and without notice by such third parties.
Without limiting the foregoing, we specifically disclaim all warranties and representations as the publisher of any content transmitted on or in connection with the site or on sites that may appear as links on the site, including without limitation any warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of third party rights. No oral advice or written information given by us or any of our subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, officers, directors, agents, or the like shall create a warranty.
14. Events outside our control
Sometimes things happen that are outside our reasonable control, for example, acts of God, adverse weather conditions, strikes and industrial action and failure of our suppliers. Because these things are outside our reasonable control, we will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under a Contract that is caused by such events. Our performance under any Contract will be suspended for the period of time that the event occurs and we will have an extension of time for performance for the duration of that period of time. We will, of course, try to find a solution to help us to perform the Contract wherever possible.
These Terms and any document expressly referred to in them constitute the whole agreement between you and us and supersede any prior agreement, understanding or arrangement between you and us, relating to the subject matter of any Contract. You and us acknowledge that, in entering into a Contract, neither you or us relies on any statement, representation, undertaking or promise of any person (“Representation”), except as expressly stated in these Terms. Both you and us agree that the only rights and remedies available to you and us arising out of or in connection with any Representation, will be for breach of contract as provided in these Terms, although this does not limit or exclude any liability for fraud.
Any notice which is given under these Terms or a Contract will be given either by Electronic Communication (which, if the notice is given by us, includes by posting notices on our Website), or if by you, by pre-paid recorded delivery, addressed to us at the address in these Terms (see section 1 above) and, if by us, by first class post addressed to you at the address on your Order. Legal proceedings must be served by first class post or pre-paid recorded delivery only and, if to us, addressed to our Legal Team.
Any Electronic Communication will be deemed to be received when the party to whom the Electronic Communication is addressed is able to access it.
If a court or other competent authority rules that any of these Terms or the provisions of a Contract are void or unenforceable in whole or part, the other Terms or provisions of the Contract and the remainder of the void or unenforceable Term or provision of the Contract will still be valid.
If we fail to exercise or delay in exercising a right or remedy provided by these Terms or by the Contract or by law that does not mean we give up those or any other rights or remedies. We reserve the right to exercise those rights or remedies in the future.
Any Contract is binding on you and us and on our respective successors or assigns. You may not transfer a Contract, or any of your rights or obligations arising under it, to any other person without our prior written consent. We may transfer a Contract, or any of our rights or obligations arising under it, to any other person at any time during the term of the Contract.
We may perform any of our obligations or exercise any of our rights ourselves or through any third party provider.
A person who is not a party to these Terms or a Contract will have no right in relation to them under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise.
If you are a Consumer, your statutory rights are not affected by these Terms or the terms of a Contract.
These Terms and any Contract will be governed by and construed in all respects in accordance with English law. We and you agree that the English courts will have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any claims or proceedings relating to these Terms and any Contract or its subject matter.